If I drink too much coffee in the afternoon, I can't fall asleep tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"If I drink too much coffee in the afternoon, I can't fall asleep tonight."

Should I use "won't be able to" instead of "can't" in the second part of this sentence?

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Does using "can" change the meaning? I don't know why but "I can't fall asleep tonight if I drink too much coffee in the afternoon" sounds okay.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You'd be understood, but it isn't correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this context, you'd use "can't" to express a general fact/habit. That doesn't work with "tonight".

If I drink too much coffee in the afternoons, I can't fall asleep at night. (General statement of fact.)
If I drink too much coffee this afternoon, I won't be able to fall asleep tonight. (Statement about a specific event.)

The future tense/voice/aspect of "can" and "can't" are "will be able to" and won't be able to".

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In this context, you'd use "can't" to express a general fact/habit. That doesn't work with "tonight".

If I drink too much coffee in the afternoons, I can't fall asleep at night. (General statement of fact.)
If I drink too much coffee this afternoon, I won't be able to fall asleep tonight. (Statement about a specific event.)

The future tense/voice/aspect of "can" and "can't" are "will be able to" and won't be able to".
I do not understand why we use “won’t be able to fall asleep tonight.” (Statement about a specific event). Can anybody further explain it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I told you in my PM—it's a prediction. If you want to express a degree of confidence about the actuality of a future event, use will/won't.

What explanation do you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.