Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, I am reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I don't understand what exactly "if i have once, I have a hundred time" means in this context in red below.
Does "if I have once" means that if one is said to be the one like that
(considered (by others) to be the businessman who brought in good slaves), then he can claim that he hears that a hundred times?
Thank you:)

"It don't look well, now, for a feller to be praisin' himself; but I say it jest because it's the truth. I believe I'm reckoned to bring in about the finest droves of niggers that is brought in, — at least, I've been told so; if I have once, I reckon I have a hundred times, — all in good case, — fat and likely, and I lose as few as any man in the business. And I lays it all to my management, sir; and humanity, sir, I may say, is the great pillar of my management."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
gookenhaim,

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

gookenhaim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
To Rover_KE

I am sorry for doing it, and I agree that I made a wrong action by just asking questions without care.
Thank you for your advice and efforts.
I will take extra caution next time.

gookenhaim

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
To Piscean