[General] If Mount Everest were flipped upside down into it, there would still be more than

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
resim.png

Hi There;
I have a passage from The Economist, "The world’s deepest ocean trenches are packed with pollution"
NOT far off the coast of Guam lies the deepest point on Earth’s surface, the Mariana trench. Its floor is 10,994 metres below sea level. If Mount Everest were flipped upside down into it, there would still be more than 2km of clear water between the mountain’s base and the top of the ocean.

View attachment 2566

I can not understand the phrase underlined. I visualize my understanding from the passage above. Are these propositions true?
1-) If Mount Everest were flipped upside down into Mariana Trench, it will look like dashed triangle in blue side.
2-) h2 = 10.994 metres
3-) Letter C denotes Mariana Trench.

In addition, which letter denotes mountain's base and top of the ocean? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
h2 - h1 = 2km

(where h2 is the depth of the Mariana Trench and where h1 is the height above sea-level of Everest)

Obviously, there is no mathematical reason why Everest has to be upside down! This is just for conceptual purposes.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you. In addition, which letter denotes mountain's new proposed base and top of the ocean? Thanks in advance.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your picture is wrong. They are talking about taking the tip of the mountain and having it touch the ocean floor. You would then have 2 km of water between the base of the mountain and the top of the ocean surface.

Your picture has the base of the mountain at the top of the ocean surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.