Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I notice that the subway trains here have three different types. One is with 11 compartments, another is with 14, and another is with 16. And there’s a rule for that, 11-compartments train open only the exit 1-10, there are 16 exits (people walk in and leave the train.) therefore 11-16 exits won’t open. 14-compartments train open its exit from the 1-12. And 16-compartments train open at every exit.

How can use simple expression to describe this?

Trains with different compartments open to their own required exits.

Please help me with a natural one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't say the trains "are with" XXX compartments. Say they "have" XXX compartments.

I'm really not sure that I've understood the entire concept. Are you saying that when trains pull into a station, not all the doors open for ingress/egress?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I suspect that the exit/entry gates are on the platforms. When the train pulls in to the platform, it stops with the doors facing the gates. Is that right, @Silverobama?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Don't say the trains "are with" XXX compartments. Say they "have" XXX compartments.

I'm really not sure that I've understood the entire concept. Are you saying that when trains pull into a station, not all the doors open for ingress/egress?
I suspect that the exit/entry gates are on the platforms. When the train pulls in to the platform, it stops with the doors facing the gates. Is that right, @Silverobama?
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2 and 5jj. It's really difficult for me to describe that in English. Let me give it a try again.

I think the whole system is the same here and in some other countries. The only difference is that, we have different types of trains with different compartments (cars). I am not sure if the "section" is called a car or a compartment, but I think the meaning is clear, it's used for passengers to stay and sit there.

When different trains arrive at the platform, yes, the doors will open for ingress and egress, yes. However, the shorter trains (which have 11 compartments and 14 compartments) will only open its door at specific gates which are connected to the platform.

Again, thank you so much for helping me with this tough question.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I call the "compartments" coaches or cars.
I thought it is obvious that longer trains with more coaches have more doors for entry or exit. More doors means users can have access to more gates for departure or arrival.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think I'd understood that there were both doors on the trains and gates on the platform, and that the two line up with each other. I don't go on the Tube (London Underground) very often but the last time I did, there were no gates on the platform. There's just a platform! When the train pulls in, all the doors open and people get off and get on. One of my work colleagues has just told me that she's been to one station in London that has the platform gates as well - somewhere on the Jubilee Line.
I still don't understand how the system works with the trains you're describing.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
3649eb719e6ffb954808c864991ea2e8.jpeg
As you can see, this is inside the station. You can also see a guard with green suit standing in the train. And you might take a look at the the number 5/21 above him. That means the train has 21 compartments and he’s standing in the fifth. And door is the number 5th so the fifth compartment opens when it arrives.

And we have different types of trains that have different compartments. Let’s use this example again. If the train is longer enough and it has 21 compartments, every door opens when it arrives. However, some trains will only open some of its doors of the compartments when they arrive, this depends on how long they are.

For example:

11-compartment trains will only open its doors 1-8.

16-compartment trains will only open its doors 1-12.

And so on.

What I need your help is I hope I can use a sentence to describe this. Could you please help again?

Much appreciated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, since the proportion of doors to carriages differs depending on the number of carriages, there isn't one sentence that would carry all the relevant information. The best I can do is:

Depending on the number of carriages, the number of train doors that open [on arrival at a station] varies.