Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Which of the following sentences is acceptable?

1. Those teenagers just addict to surfing on the Internet or playing online games all day long, but ignore their recreational activities and studies.
2. Those teenagers just addict to surfing on the Internet or playing online games around the clock, but give short shrift of their leisure activities and studies.
3. Those teenagers just addict to online gaming day and night, and neglect their leisure activities and work.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm afraid they are all ungrammatical.

#3 comes closest. Consider

'Those teenagers are completely addicted to online gaming day and night, and neglect other leisure activities and their studies.'

Rover

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which of the following sentences is acceptable?

1. Those teenagers just addict to surfing on the Internet or playing online games all day long, but ignore their recreational activities and studies.
(We don't say, the cars hot. We say, the cars are hot. The "are" is called the state of being. Similarly, we don't say, Those teenagers just addict, we say, those teenagers are just addicted (a different tense of the word). In addition, a recreational activity could be surfing on the Internet.
2. Those teenagers just addict to surfing on the Internet or playing online games around the clock, but give short shrift of their leisure activities and studies. (You give short shrift "to", not "of")
3. Those teenagers just addict to online gaming day and night, and neglect their leisure activities and work.
I suggest that you review tenses. Also, look at the meaning of "to be" - is, are, am.
I am hungry.
He is hungry.
They are hungry.
All of us will be hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.