I'm (8)... in less than fifteen minutes.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Look. I've told you," I shouted, I'll have left before the clock strikes twelve! I'm (8)... in less than fifteen minutes. The correct answer is leaving/going/off. The section related to the grammar of future.

I would also use "out". Does it also work there? Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency by Richard Side and Guy Wellman, p. 25. exercise 2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Look. I've told you," I shouted, I'll have left before the clock strikes twelve! I'm (8)... in less than fifteen minutes. The correct answers is are "leaving/going/off". The section related to the grammar of future.

I would also use "out". Does it also work there?

Source: Grammar and Vocabulary for Cambridge Advanced and Proficiency by Richard Side and Guy Wellman, p. 25. exercise 2.
It's quite unusual for an exercise to have three correct answers but all the words you listed fit in the space. I agree that "out" is possible but it's a very informal usage. It's verging on slang.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only difference is that 'leaving & going' specifically refer to a pending change of location. With 'off', there's the possibility that although your work ends shortly, you may not necessarily be leaving your workplace as soon as you finish. Of course we generally do leave once we're finished, but it certainly possible to stay.

Perhaps you have reasons to stay where you're at even though you've finished working.