Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you native English speakers use the expression "I'm at your service"?
I mean is it usual or grammatically correct to say to say I'm ready to help?

Last edited:
I don't, but I do not, of course, speak for everybody.

(I'll say anything if you pay me enough. ;-))

:)

It is grammatical, and it is used. It is pretty formal.

My butler says that all the time.

;-)

When pigs fly.

It's an expression that means something that is impossible. Pigs can't fly.

I think "When pigs fly" was directed at Tarheel's comment about having a butler, rather than being an answer to your original question, abitaraf.

I find "I am at your service" very old-fashioned.

The more modern way of saying it is : how may I help you?

not a teacher

Other than Tarheel's butler, probably the most common place you'll see the phrase "at your service" in AmE is in print - like, for example, in the list of services placed in your hotel room. It will say something like "If you've forgotten to pack anything - toothbrush, razor, toothpaste - please ask at the front desk. We are at your service."

(Of course, any time I happen to go down to the front desk at 2:00AM and say, "I'm sorry to trouble to you, but can I get some change for the pop machine?" I end up with some cranky clerk who apparently hasn't gotten the memo that he is at my service and vociferously resents me interrupting his game of Candy Crush Saga.)

The coach from the airport to near where I'm living in Tokyo plays a recording saying that they are looking forward to serving me again, which is sweet, but would probably sound a bit excessive in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back