I'm looking for a website in which I can search an idiom/expression and it shows clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm looking for a website in which I can search an idiom/expression and it shows clips and movie quotes with that idiom. I mean real-life situations when that idiom was used.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can't find one with movie clips, but this BrE site is pretty good, and she gives one good typical example with each idiom.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can't find one with movie clips, but this BrE site is pretty good, and she gives one good typical example with each idiom.
What site?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You forgot to insert the hyperlink, @probus.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks like somebody has digitized a series of old VHS tapes called Vidioms. They were very low-budget and inferior production quality even as new VHS tapes many years ago. I tried using them some in class, but the acting was so stiff they were boring. Unfortunately, whomever took the time to upload them to Youtube only labeled them by lesson number. The video tapes had an index where the lesson number listed the idiom as well. Not that you could easily forward to an exact spot on a VHS tape....

It's a series of short clips where "actors" (if you dare label them as such) role-played various idioms to try and "show" the meaning of an idiom. It worked better for some idioms than others (even disregarding the corniness and ham acting).

It was a Canadian production. Not sure if that was a part of the problem or not. :p

Cassy0110

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
United States
thanks! I would be helpful for me too!

andrewlee80

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not exactly what you are looking for, but I found this website: https://lingonut.com/app/learn/en. They have some very interesting posts, and each post seems to have notes on words, phrases and idioms.

Status
Not open for further replies.