"I'm not scared," he said. "You are. You're wishing I hadn't done it". Why the Present Continous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonverbis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A Grammar of Present-day English. Practice book by I.P. Krylova

The task is to explain the use of the Present Continuous.

"I'm not scared," he said. "You are. You're wishing I hadn't done it".

It seems that we have a case of an action going on at the present moment. But it seems to be emotionally coloured due to the present continuous.
Or is it not?

The dictionary stipulates that to wish is not used in the progressive tense. But it is only for the first meaning. Any other meaning can be used in the continuous tense.

And as far as I understand, emotionally coloured expressions with the present continuous refer to the general characteristics of a person (always blaming, constantly showing off). So, this seems to be not the case.

Maybe there is no underlined emotion here.

Could you help me here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The dictionary stipulates that to wish is not used in the progressive tense. But it is only for the first meaning. Any other meaning can be used in the continuous tense.
No. It says not usually used in the present progressive tense (my emphasis added).

Here the aspect is simply emphasising the limited duration of the wishing.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can you say what you mean by 'emotionally coloured'? Is that your own term or did you get it from the book?

It will help if you tell us more about the task. Has Krylova already provided a set of uses from which you must choose?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Emotion in speech is shown by choice of vocabulary, intonation, word and sentence stress, volume, speed of delivery, facial expression and body language. not by choice of tense/aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.