[General] I'm too worried about my tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

One of my teeth doesn't feel so well. I went to see a dentist in a hospital.

Silver: Hi, Dr Wang.
Dentist: You are?
Silver: _____. (I told her my name and showed her my prescription two days ago.)
Dentist: Why did you come here again? You came two days ago. Usually you need to wait for one or two month for another checkup of your teeth.
Silver: I'm too worried about my tooth.

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

One of my teeth doesn't feel [STRIKE]so well[/STRIKE] good. I went to see a dentist in a hospital.

Silver: Hi, Dr Wang.
Dentist: You are?
Silver: _____. (I told her my name and showed her my prescription from two days ago.)
Dentist: Why [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] have you come here again? You came two days ago. Usually you need to wait for one or two months for another [dental] checkup. [STRIKE]of your teeth.[/STRIKE]
Silver: I'm too worried about my tooth.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The italic sentence is OK as long as you mean "I'm too worried to wait another couple of months". If you're using "too" instead of "very", it's wrong. Use "very".
It would be more natural for the dentist to say 'Why are you here again?"

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The italic sentence is OK as long as you mean "I'm too worried to wait another couple of months". If you're using "too" instead of "very", it's wrong. Use "very".
It would be more natural for the dentist to say 'Why are you here again?"

Much appreciated, emsr2d2.

I wanted to mean "My anxiety is driving me crazy. I worried about my tooth and I thought I might get some serious dental problem even though the dentist told me it looks okay a few days ago so I came back to consult her again".

Can I use the italic sentence? I think I can.

If you're using "too" instead of "very", it's wrong. Use "very".

I don't understand this. Which should I use, "too" or "very"?

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The italic sentence is OK as long as you mean "I'm too worried to wait another couple of months".

I read this sentence again and again, I think it means "I'm too worried so I can't wait another couple of months to see you. I need to see you now." And I wanted to say "My anxiety is driving me crazy. I worried about my tooth and I thought I might get some serious dental problem even though the dentist told me it looks okay a few days ago so I came back to consult her again."

When I was young, I was taught by my teachers that "too....to...." means "so...that something can't be done".

"She's too young to go to school". (She's very young so she can't go to school.)

Did you mean that I should simply say "
I'm very worried about my tooth"?Please enlighten me again!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I read this sentence again and again, I think it means "I'm so worried that I can't wait another couple of months to see you.

[...]

"She's too young to go to school". (She's so young that she can't go to school.)

Your interpretation of "too" is correct, I think.
:)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your interpretation of "too" is correct, I think.

If I understand "too....to...." here correctly, why did emsr2d2 ask me to use "very"?

I hope she can come and help when she's available.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If I understand "too....to...." here correctly, why did emsr2d2 ask me to use "very"?

It's probably because emsr2d2 wasn't sure if you understood the construction correctly.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Why not get straight to the point - tell your dentist the problem you have with your tooth that has been bugging you.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why not get straight to the point - tell your dentist the problem you have with your tooth that has been bugging you.

I consulted her once (Last Friday) and that conversation took place yesterday.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Because you didn't follow too with a to-infinitive phrase. That made emsr2d2 (and probably the rest of us) think that you meant very. I now think you perhaps meant to say:

I was too worried not to come.

It'd be likely a speaker would stress not, since the point of the utterance seems to be to justify going directly against the advice of a medical practitioner.

Is that what you mean?

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Because you didn't follow too with a to-infinitive phrase. That made emsr2d2 (and probably the rest of us) think that you meant very. I now think you perhaps meant to say:

I was too worried not to come.

It'd be likely a speaker would stress not, since the point of the utterance seems to be to justify going directly against the advice of a medical practitioner.

Is that what you mean?

I appreciate your help, jutfrank, especially after I bothered you with a PM. Well, if you didn't clarify here, I think I'll never understand what ems meant.

I didn't mean "I was too worried not to come" but "I was so worried about my tooth that I couldn't be patient enough and came to the dentist again within merely three days."

I think I simply need:

I'm very worried about my tooth.

Will the following sound better?

I worried about my tooth very much.
​

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Try this:

I'm sorry but I was really worried about my tooth.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I appreciate your help, jutfrank, especially after I bothered you with a PM. [STRIKE]Well,[/STRIKE] If you [STRIKE]didn't clarify[/STRIKE] hadn't clarified it, [strike]here,[/strike] I don't think [STRIKE]I'll never understand[/STRIKE] I would ever have understood what ems meant.

I didn't mean "I was too worried not to come" but "I was so worried about my tooth that I couldn't be patient, [STRIKE]enough[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] so I came to the dentist again [STRIKE]within merely[/STRIKE] after only three days."

I think I simply need:

I'm very worried about my tooth.

[STRIKE]Will[/STRIKE] Would/Does the following sound better?

I worried about my tooth very much. :cross:
That's not grammatical.

Note my corrections above. As a general rule, don't use "too" when it's not already clear what you're "too [adjective] to [verb]".

A: How are you feeling?
B: I'm too tired. :cross:
B: I'm very tired. :tick:

A: Why have you come to see me again?
B: I was too worried about my tooth. :cross:
B: I was very worried about my tooth. :tick:

In the following exchange, the "too ... to ..." meaning is clear without necessarily repeating the other person's words.

A: Why didn't you wait a couple of months to come back to see me?
B: I was too worried about my tooth [to wait a couple of months].

Status
Not open for further replies.