Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Would anyone please correct my writing as below?

Imagined Cultural Gap​

I have a good American friend. A few years ago, he suddenly told me something which seemed to me that it was irrelevant to me every a while for at least three times. It was just a sentence. I thought it was not my position to comment on that. And I felt strange, and a little uncomfortable because it was unusual in China in the normal situation. Each time I let it go with the self ratification - it might be an American thing.

Somehow the question- why did he say that to me was hovering in my mind later now and then. At that time, we could talk about anything as much as we could. If I had asked, he probably would have told me, or he might have been expecting me to respond to, but I didn't. Now we don't talk to each other, except for a few emails exchanges occasionally. I thought I missed the best opportunity to ask him in person, though I could still try to get confirmed.

Recently I suddently figured that out. Those were like random dots which are logically consciously connected together.

I have to repress the impulse I wanted to write to him, "Hey, I was so retarded. Now I gotcha", but that might embarrrass both of us, if I suddenly mention that. I intended to find a tree hole like a psychological forum to vent it out anonymously, but I am too lazy to register one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What did he say?

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What did he say?

Sorry, I can't tell you, because I still want to stay here as long as possible. Actually I once asked why he said that on a psychological forum. Everyone questioned my motive instead of directly answer my question. I didn't tell them I am not a Westerner, and I didn't know if they were aware of that from my writing. I didn't lie any word I wrote here and there.

Because of that, I realised that was not really the cultural gap I had assumed. So, my subconscious mind figured out finally.

I don't other people judge on him either. He said that out of a reason. I still like him as a friend.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Send tdol or me what your American friend said by Private Message and let us decide whether or how to put it in the forum. I am nornally not in favour of PMs but in this case I'd be willing to give an answer via PM.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Send tdol or me what your American friend said by Private Message and let us decide whether or how to put it in the forum. I am nornally not in favour of PMs but in this case I'd be willing to give an answer via PM.

Thank you very much for trying to help me , Tdol and Probus. Please forgive me. I wouldn't like to expose that, because I have figured out the reason. I intended to post it in General Memember Discussion. My intention was to tell folk here the imagined cultural gap could create misunderstanding of communication like genuine cultural gap too since there are people from different countries, and I hesitated.

So I finally decided to post here for two reasons: I can vent it out even nobody understood, and I can learn English if anyone can correct my writing as well.

I would just detail the ins and outs on a forum that I would never visit that again, but I don't need such a place any more now. My heart and mind don't go wonder wildly any more.

If I say that, I am afraid most of you will judge on him in case you believe my words, and then I think I will have to tell you the reason behind it, so you maybe can give him a fair comment.

I didn't expect this post would possibly make you (plural) feel curious.

If any of you like, you can close/delete the thread, or whatever you think it is appropriate. I'm very sorry about this.

P.S. I was very angry when the other people including a Ph.D. questioned my motive on other forum before. And whenever I think of that, I am still pissed off. I realise everyone is unique since then, and it is possible for some people to read other people's mind on certain issues, but even a Ph.D. in psychology can make a nonsense judgement on innocent people like me. I told them I told the truth, they didn't want to listen to me. They just persistently created an evil figure in me in their imagination. What would I gain if I lied to them then?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would anyone please correct my writing as below?

Imagined Cultural Gap​

I have a good American friend. A few years ago, he suddenly told me something which seemed to me that it was irrelevant to me every a while for at least three times. It was just a sentence. I thought it was not my position to comment on that. And I felt strange, and a little uncomfortable because it was unusual in China in the normal situation. Each time I let it go with the self ratification - it might be an American thing.

Please stop using "suddenly" that way. Reserve "suddenly" for thunder and car crashes.

I understand the first sentence. I am baffled by the rest. However, I understand that there was some kind of misunderstanding that might be attributed to a culture clash.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

At that time we could talk about anything as much as we wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.