'In addition' and 'also' in one sentence? 'Helped improve' or 'helped to improve'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galois

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
Hello friends, I have a couple of doubts regarding the correct writing of some sentences. I would greatly appreciate your help.
First, is it correct to use 'In addition' and 'also' together in one sentence?

In consequence, observe that an irreducible code and a reducible code are different codes in general. In addition, note that the irreducible codes defined here are also different from the codes in [ref.] defined as one-weight irreducible cyclic codes.

Where [ref.] is just a reference to another paper.
On the other hand, in the following sentence, should I say 'helped improve' or 'helped to improve'?

The authors would like to thank the anonymous reviewers for their valuable comments and suggestions that helped improve/helped to improve the quality of the paper.

Thank you very much for your help.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I haven't the foggiest idea what reducible and irreducible codes are, but I assure you that you can certainly use both "in addition" and "also" in one sentence if you can think up a suitable context, in the same way you could use both "y" and "mas" or "ademas" in certain Spanish sentences. (Pease excuse me for omitting the accents from Spanish words. It's a big hassle to produce them with an English keyboard.)

"Helped improve" and "helped to improve" are identical. You can use either.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"In addition" and "also" mean the same thing, so I would use either one but not both.

I think "help improve" is more common than "help to improve".

Status
Not open for further replies.