In high school, I was second to none in math.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone/something is the best when compared to others. Can I use "second to none"? Are these correct and natural?

1. I've always had a good head for math. In high school, I was second to none in math.
2. For me, Sunday Roast is second to none. It's my absolute favorite food.
3. His ability to maintain his composure under pressure is second to none. I think that's what makes him a great athlete.
4. Sara's business acumen is second to none. She took an ailing company and turned it into an economic powerhouse.
5. Is there something you would say you're second-to-none in? For instance, would you say you are second to none in cooking?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to say someone/something is the best when compared to others. Can I use "second to none"? Are these correct and natural?

1. I've always had a good head for math. In high school, I was second to none at math.
3. His ability to maintain his composure under pressure is second to none. I think that's what makes him a great athlete.
4. Sara's business acumen is second to none. She took an ailing company and turned it into an economic powerhouse.
5. Is there something you would say you're second-to-none at? For instance, would you say you are second to none at cooking?
I would say she turned a failing business into a moneymaker, but your version is OK.

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could British speakers also comment? Is it common in British English?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's reasonably common in BrE.
Would you say the five examples I've written in post.1 are correct and natural?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In BE we'd say 'maths' instead of 'math'.
1. I've always had a good head for maths. In high school, I was second to none at maths.
5. Is there something you would say you're second-to-none at? For instance, would you say you are second to none at cooking?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@alpacinou I can see that you've changed "math" to "maths" in sentence 1 (there was no need to do so as you had added "Like" to Rover's post). However, why have you posted sentences 2 to 5 again?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
@alpacinou I can see that you've changed "math" to "maths" in sentence 1 (there was no need to do so as you had added "Like" to Rover's post). However, why have you posted sentences 2 to 5 again?
I wanted to have all the correct sentences in one post.🥲

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status