Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In March, as the coronavirus continued to spread across Italy, authorities announced they would the entire country in lockdown.

Source: Forbes

Yesterday I read Forbes and found the author used "in lockdown" rather than "on lockdown". The latter is what I frequently read, like:

The question here is which is more accurate: "in lockdown" or "on lockdown"?

Both are used though on lockdown is more common. There is also under lockdown.

Outside prisons, it's a fairly new usage for most of us, so there's no fixed preposition yet.

I would have used "into".

The missing word is place, which is probably why "in" is used there, because "place ... in ... " is a good collocation.

Last edited:
Thanks. With "place", I'd probably use either "in" or "on". With "put" I'd use "in", "on" or "into". "under" would be possible too; it just wouldn't be my preference.

Thanks. With "place", I'd probably use either "in" or "on". With "put" I'd use "in", "on" or "into". "under" would be possible too; it just wouldn't be my preference.

I think that I mentally inserted "put" into the sentence. I would use "in" with "place".

Last edited by a moderator:
Outside prisons, it's a fairly new usage for most of us, so there's no fixed preposition yet.
It was sadly common in pre-Covid American usage to describe the condition a school or office building is in when threatened by an armed intruder. Spectators from the rest of the world will find it perplexing that one frequently-promoted solution is to increase the number of armed people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back