Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is about teenagers attitude towards school subjects. Is "in school" not Idiomatic in this context? Should it be "social science" or "social science subjects"? The internet is sometimes capitalized. Should "the net" be capitalized too?

"At/in school they study many subjects that aren't needed/cannot be applied in real life. They don't study social science. Some students think they get important knowledge from books and surfing the Net."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is about teenagers' attitudes towards school subjects. Is "in school" not idiomatic in this context? Should it be "social science" or "social science subjects"? The "Internet" is sometimes capitalized. Should the "net" be capitalized too?

"At/In school, they study many subjects that aren't needed/cannot be applied in real life. They don't study social science. Some students think they get important knowledge from books and surfing the net."
We don't use "In school" much in BrE. That sentence would start with "At school" for me. "Social science" is fine as long as you're talking about one single subject/class that you think they should take.
Don't capitalise "net". Very few people capitalise "internet" these days.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"At school they study many subjects that aren't needed/cannot be applied in real life. An example is social science. Some students think they get important knowledge from books and surfing the Net."
That's what I think you mean. In other words, they are required to study social science, but they don't think it's necessary.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That's what I think you mean. In other words, they are required to study social science, but they don't think it's necessary.
You also used "at" not "in school". So "in school" wouldn't be idiomatic in AmE either, would it?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE I see little or no difference between "in school" or "at school". In some contexts I might prefer one or the other, but in any context I'd find either acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.