Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
How do I write centuries in English? Should it be "in the fourth century," "in the 4th century" or as in the example below? Is "th" optional?

"This bridge was built in the IV century."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, we don't use Roman numerals for that. Either "fourth" or "4th" is acceptable.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't use Roman numerals for this.

Many style guides say that any number (ordinal or cardinal) of twenty or below should be written as a word. However, generally you'll see the number used for centuries.

It's now the 21st century.
I like the furniture of the 19th century.
He was a monk in the 13th century.

Remember, though, that when a number is the first thing in a sentence, it should always be written in words.

Twentieth-century art isn't my cup of tea.
Fourteenth-century books are beautifully illustrated.

(Note that when number+century is a compound adjective, as it is in the last two examples, it should be hyphenated.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How do I write centuries in English? Should it be "in the fourth century," "in the 4th century" or as in the example below? Is "th" optional?

"This bridge was built in the IV century."
We don't use the Roman-numeral convention in English, so the last version is wrong. Spell out small ordinal numbers. Some publications spell out twenty and below; others only ten and below. I prefer twenty. You always have to include the appropriate suffix for ordinal numbers except in some conventions for writing the day of the month.

Come to think of it, I think you'll find a lot more examples of "twenty-first century" than "21[SUP]st[/SUP] century". I could be wrong. :)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Don't use Roman numerals for this.

Many style guides say that any number (ordinal or cardinal) of twenty or below should be written as a word. However, generally you'll see the number used for centuries.

It's now the 21st century.
I like the furniture of the 19th century.
He was a monk in the 13th century.

Remember, though, that when a number is the first thing in a sentence, it should always be written in words.

Twentieth-century art isn't my cup of tea.
Fourteenth-century books are beautifully illustrated.

(Note that when number+century is a compound adjective, as it is in the last two examples, it should be hyphenated.)

Could you please recommend a good style guide? I am also really struggling with commas.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please recommend a good style guide? I am also really struggling with commas.

The Chicago Manual of Style is widely used by American publishers. I don't know if there's an equivalent for British English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(New) Hart's Rules: The Oxford Style Guide is the preferred choice of my editor friend.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(New) Hart's Rules: The Oxford Style Guide is the preferred choice of my editor friend.
Thanks! I wondered.

Rachel, here's another thumbs-up for Chicago. It's the most comprehensive American reference. If they don't know the answer, there isn't one. Here's the online version: Chicago Online

Another popular one is The Associated Press Stylebook.

The most famous American style book is out-dated and quirky but interesting to read: The Elements of Style

But if you're simply looking for a good, basic, easy-to-use handbook for (American) grammar, punctuation, and usage, my favorite is A Writer's Reference.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Many style guides say that any number (ordinal or cardinal) of twenty or below should be written as a word. However, generally you'll see the number used for centuries

Sorry, could you please rephrase this for me? Do you mean numbers below "twenty" and including "twenty" just like numbers from "one" to "ten" including "ten" are written as words but not for centuries? As in your examples, "the 21st century," "the 13th century," and my additional examples, if I understand correctly, "the 5th century," "the 20th century," "the 10th century."

Status
Not open for further replies.