... making India only the fourth country to achieve the feat.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This engineer and manager played a crucial part in ensuring Chandrayaan-3’s triumphant touchdown on the Moon, making India only the fourth country to achieve the feat.

Source: Nature
Nature’s 10
Ten people (and one non-human) who helped shape science in 2023

I am not sure whether you guys have the same feeling when reading "making xx only the fourth country": It sounds to have a trace of disappointment or even of contempt, because it seems to mean "you should have done better-you should have been the third or even the second country in the moon race, yet you've ended up being the fourth."

"Making xx the only fourth country" is different to me and should have been what the author wanted to express, because it has a sense of honor: several countries have been in the competition to win the honor of being the fourth, yet you are the only victor (others have failed).

Is my sense of the grammar correct?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It sounds to have a trace of disappointment or even of contempt, because it seems to mean "you should have done better-you should have been the third or even the second country in the moon race, yet you've ended up being the fourth."
It doesn't. It means "Only three other countries achieved this before you. Yours is a great achievement.
"Making xx the only fourth country"
That doesn't work.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You read way too much into that. It simply states that it has happened three times before. The word "only" indicates that it hasn't happened often. It has only happened three times before; this was the fourth time.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No.