Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hello everyone. I would like to ask about tense changing in indirect speech. In this sentence The headmaster said "Don't believe everything you hear" is ' hear ' considered as a direct object and is it to be left without any changes?
Thanks in advance

Indirect speech would be:

The headmaster told us not to believe everything we hear.

The phrase "everything you hear" is a noun phrase and is a direct object of "believe"

You can click the "Thank" or "Like" buttons if you find a post useful. (There is no need to thank me ahead of time.)

I don't know why you would change "hear" to something else. (I wouldn't.)

I didn't change. But some "qualified " teachers tried to explain why should I change.Thanks

I think you should put 'should' after 'I' because it is not a question.

The phrase "everything you hear" is a noun phrase and is a direct object of "believe"

And within that noun phrase, "[which] you hear" is a relative clause modifying "everything." "Hear" is not a direct object but a (transitive) verb which itself has a direct object. The easiest thing to say, without getting overly technical, is that the direct object of "hear" is "everything."

I consider 'hear' the main verb in the contact clause.

I consider 'hear' the main verb in the contact clause.

In the what?

Yeah, I thought it was probably your term for "relative clause." There's no difference between our interpretations.

The difference is that a relative clause includes a relative pronoun, while a contact clause does not.

No, if you read the definition very carefully, you'll see that it defines a contact clause as a type of relative clause.

I have read the definition below very carefully.
When the relative pronouns ‘who’, ‘which’ or ‘that’ (in object case) are omitted, the relative clause becomes a contact clause.

'Becomes' suggests to me that there is difference between them.

I think we are getting nitpicking.

I was referring to the definition to which the link you posted leads:

A relative clause appended without a relative pronoun to the noun phrase that governs it
As you can see, it defines a contact clause as a relative clause of a certain type.

Hello everyone. I would like to ask about tense changing in indirect speech. In this sentence The headmaster said "Don't believe everything you hear" is ' hear ' considered as a direct object and is it to be left without any changes?

Say:

The headmaster said:

"Don't believe everything you hear."

Then start another paragraph. And google that sentence. Hopefully, if you see it enough times in context you will learn its meaning.

Post more. But start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back