Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!

Would you please help me to understand the following sentence.

"If that level is reached, we will instead attempt to blend a desire to make meaningful purchases at a value-creating price with a related goal of not over-influencing the market," Buffett wrote.

In the main part that starts with "we will....". There is "instead", plus 2 actions "attemp to blend a desire" and "to make perchases"
We will not do "attemp to blend a desire" and we will do "make perchases"... is it correct meaning?

And I am a bit confused about "to blend a desire", what does it mean? is it an idiom?

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited:

Would you please help me to understand the following sentence.

"If that level is reached, we will instead attempt to blend a desire to make meaningful purchases at a value-creating price with a related goal of not over-influencing the market," Buffett wrote.

In the main part that starts with "we will....". There is "instead", plus 2 actions "attemp to blend a desire" and "to make perchases"
I guess, instead of "attemping to blend a desire" we will "make purchases".. is it correct meaning?

No. Buffett discussed a strategy and mentioned some "level" before the quoted passage. Now he's saying what he will do if that level is reached: try to blend x with a related goal, y.

And I am a bit confused about "to blend a desire", what does it mean? is it an idiom?

No. He's going to try to do two things:
  1. [attempt] to make meaningful purchases at a value-creating price; and
  2. [achieve] a related goal of not over-influencing the market.

No. He's going to try to do two things:
  1. [attempt] to make meaningful purchases at a value-creating price; and
  2. [achieve] a related goal of not over-influencing the market.
:roll: Thanks a lot.

It means that the word "instead" do not refer to any ideas in that sentence. It refers to some previous idea.

previous context:

Buffett goes on to remind investors of Berkshire Hathaway's share repurchase policy, which is if the company reaches 120 percent of its book value. Even then, Buffett said he would only undergo a share repurchase if he saw it beneficial to the company. "The authorization given me does not mean that we will “prop” our stock’s price at the 120% ratio. If that level is reached, we will instead attempt to blend a desire to make meaningful purchases at a value-creating price with a related goal of not over-influencing the market," Buffett wrote.

So, instead of "prop"ing our stock's price at the 120% ratio, we will try to blend sth1 with sth2.

Yes, precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back