[Vocabulary] Is electrical tension a correct synonym to electrical voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobeers

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Over years I only used electrical voltage and doubted all translations using tension in the meaning of electrical voltage, as I allways thought, that tension is only used for mechanical issues like tension in steel, concrete or for buildings in general.

Now I hear a colleague with New Zealand background saying, that for some users of english "electrical tension" has becom acceptable as well. My simple question: is that true?

Thanks from Germany for your effort.

J

J&K Tutoring

Your friend is correct, but you are also correct in being careful to use the two terms interchangeably in all conversations. Voltage can be called electrical pressure or electrical tension, which seems crazy to me as the two terms sound like opposites. Unless you are an electrical engineer talking with other electrical engineers, I recommend you avoid the term electrical tension, as it will tend to confuse laymen, and you might have to (try to) explain what you mean!

A Wikipedia article is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am an electrical engineer. "Tension" has some colloquial use, like in the phrase "high tension wires."

If you want to sound natural, you should use "voltage."

Status
Not open for further replies.