[Grammar] Is it correct to say "conditions met"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
A news story:
And finally, a story for all you parents out there: How often do your kids push you to your limit, and what do you do about it? One tired and harassed mother from Illinois decided she’d had enough yesterday. Instead of yelling at her children, as she normally would, she decided to leave. She walked out the door and climbed a tree – the tree with her children’s tree house in it, that is. She told her children she had decided to stay in their tree house until they started appreciating her more. She put a sign in front of the tree house that said, “On Strike – No cooking, cleaning, doctoring, banking, or driving until demands met!” The children tried to persuade her to come down, but were unsuccessful. Finally, one of them had the smart idea of baking their mother’s favorite treat – brownies. Well, they must have smelled good because that did the trick. Mom agreed to come down and read the contract her children wrote promising not to fight, along with other promises of good behavior. That’s it for now. We’ll be back in an hour with more news.
Audio file >> 03:01
Passages 1, third edition, page 46, exercise 5

If it's the passive voice, why is the auxiliary verb deleted: shouldn't it be "demands are met"? Is this reduction the same as what we see in news headlines?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, can you edit that? (There are several pairs of run together words.) Two, it's specific demands--her demands.

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
can you edit that? (There are several pairs of run together words.)
I really don't know how it happened: I just copied the script from my PDF file and pasted it into the text editor. Anyway, I just edited my question.

it's specific demands--her demands.
I don't understand what you mean.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say something like;

I am not giving in until my demands are met.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Shouldn't it be "demands are met"? Is this reduction the same as what we see in news headlines? Yes. It was written on a sign, so she needed to save space.

I really don't know how it happened [pairs of words being run together]: I just copied the script from my PDF file and pasted it into the text editor.
This happens all the time when we copy and paste. We just have to proofread our text extra carefully when we do that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Rover makes a good point. I have rethought my earlier comment. That is, it would be understood that they are her demands.

Last edited:

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
This happens all the time when we copy and paste. We just have to proofread our text extra carefully when we do that.
You have a point, but when I pasted the text, it was all right. The text editor altered my text after I saved my post. In a WYSIWYG editor it's a bug, which needs to be resolved.

Last edited:

Mike MC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Rover makes a good point. I have rethought my earlier comment. That is, it would understood that they are her demands.
It's obvious that they are her demands. It's not what I would like to know. I wonder if you'd mind reading my question again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The whole thing is reduced.

"On Strike - No cooking, cleaning, doctoring, banking, or driving until demands met!" is a reduced version of "We are on strike. We will do no cooking, cleaning, doctoring, banking, or driving until our demands are met!"

Status
Not open for further replies.