Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Occitan
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Is it correct to say "He hasn't done nothing" I have heard it's correct as many people use it in slang language but in formal English it looks like incorrect, it should be "He hasn't done anything"
or
No one is allowed to get nothing from the shop
No one is allowed to get anything from the shop
Obviously the second one is correct but I heard the first one as well which is a bit strange for me.
Can anyone help?:oops:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

The "double negative" is technically ungrammatical, but common in everyday speech.

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Is it correct to say "He hasn't done nothing" I have heard it's correct as many people use it in slang language but in formal English it looks like incorrect, it should be "He hasn't done anything"
or
No one is allowed to get nothing from the shop
No one is allowed to get anything from the shop
Obviously the second one is correct but I heard the first one as well which is a bit strange for me.
Can anyone help?:oops:
Not a teacher, just a language lover.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend you use this structure even though it's quite common in informal speech.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"He hasn't done nothing" can be perfectly correct in context.

A. 'I asked him to clean the house but he's done nothing!'

B. 'He hasn't done nothing - he swept the floor for one thing.'

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Rover's example gives the meaning of the phrase if used correctly. However, I would say that the phrase (and double negation in general) is just as likely to be used incorrectly to mean the same as the phrase with a single negation (as meobeo has found on the streets of Melbourne).
For that reason it's best avoided.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In television and the movies, characters who are supposed to be poorly educated and ignorant or of lower social classes will say "I ain't done nuthin" or "I didn't seen nuthin'."

You need to decide if you wish to be thought of in the same light. I use them only for deliberate effect. I'll look wide-eyed at my boss and say "I don't know nothing 'bout nothing!" to pretend I'm unaware about something. I would never, never say "I don't know nothing" or "I haven't done nothing" in common speech.

One exception is the common "You ain't seen nothing yet!" which means "Just wait - there's great stuff coming soon!"

Status
Not open for further replies.