[Vocabulary] Is it pre-calculus, precalculus, or pre calculus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Bass

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would have written pre-calculus. However, hyphenated compound nouns tend to lose the hyphen and become single words. This happens quickly with frequently-used words and is encouraged by some style guides.

The version with a space just looks wrong to me.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
I prefer "pre-calculus", but "precalculus" is also acceptable. I would say "no" to "pre calculus".

If it's the name of the course you're taking, use the official spelling used by your university (check the course catalog).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Jon Bass

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Incidentally, why do you care? Are you more interested in the name of the subject or the subject itself? I think you should start preparing and forget the trivia. It's the material that should garner your attention.

Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps it's an OCD thing - if you attend the class 3 times a week, and study for it all the time (precalc is not my strongest course), and you see all the variants every single time, it's kind of driving me up the wall. But perhaps it's the beauty of the english language, at the end of the day, it gets the job done, and that's all it matters.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But perhaps it's the beauty of the english language, at the end of the day, it gets the job done, and that's all it matters.

Most of us here are OCD about capitalising 'English' every time we write it.:roll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.