Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The following footage has been taken from the Steam pre-release version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge and not the final Nintendo Switch build.

----
1. Why is the present perfect used?
2. How about "is" or "was" here? What is the difference in meaning between them?

a. The following footage has been taken from the Steam pre-release version.
b. The following footage is taken from the Steam pre-release version. [my version]
c. The following footage was taken from the Steam pre-release version. [my version]

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
My order of preference is b-a-c.
The present tense makes it sound general.
The present perfect tense implies that the action is current.
The past tense tense is unnatural to me.

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The present perfect tense implies that the action is current.
Please see below (from Practical English Usage 3rd - 457.10)

bad rules (3): 'recent actions'

The choice also does not depend directly on whether actions and events are recent. Recent events are more likely to be 'news', and we are more likely to be concerned about their present results, so many present perfect sentences are in fact about recent events. But it is possible to use the present perfect to talk about things that happened a long time ago. Compare:

The French revolution has influenced every popular radical movement in Europe since 1800. (200-year-old event - present perfect)

Ann phoned five minutes ago. (very recent event - simple past)

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Could native speakers join us? :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could native speakers join us? :)
This is the fourth thread in which you have made that request this year. Native speakers will join in if they anything to add - as will non-native speakers. your request suggest you may not be happy with responses you have received, which is not very tactful when members have take the trouble to respond.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
This is the fourth thread in which you have made that request this year. Native speakers will join in if they have anything to add - as will non-native speakers.
When a thread doesn't get any replies by native speakers, either they don't have anything to add or they just fail to notice it. I don't know which the case is, so I try one more time, saying "Could native speakers join us?" And that is usually a one-off attempt. I will accept whatever it turns out - whether having new replies or not. No more requests. I suppose that you have noticed this, since you know exactly how many times I used the phrasing this year. :)
your request suggest you may not be happy with responses you have received, which is not very tactful when members have take the trouble to respond.
Please don't get me wrong. I think that it is reasonable to have some native speakers check the question about their language (and the answer it gets), isn't it?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think that it is reasonable to have some native speakers check the question about their language (and the answer it gets), isn't it?
The team of mods and some of the senior members will soon comment if they see a response that is not helpful. You don't ned to post a special request for native speakers. As I said, it is not very tactful towards a non-native speaker who has responded to you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Why is the present perfect used?
2. How about "is" or "was" here? What is the difference in meaning between them?

I can't tell what kind of answers you require.

1. It's used for the same reason that it's always used: to give the past action a present relevance.
2. Well, is doesn't cast a perfect aspect and was doesn't have any present relevance.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. It's used for the same reason that it's always used: to give the past action a present relevance.
In this case, does it express something like this?

The following footage was taken from the Steam pre-release version [the past action] and now I'll show you that [a present relevance].

So the present perfect is used:

The following footage has been taken from the Steam pre-release version ....

Does this understanding make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.