[General] Is it the one who speaks eight languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Steven agreed to attend our year-end singing party. Steven is capable of speaking eight languages.

I also invited her to come and join the year-end singing party. And she said she might come and I told her Steven would also come. Then she asked me:

Steven? Is it the one who speaks eight languages? (Lan met Steven the other day in our English club.)

Is my italic sentence natural? I think "Steven? Is he the one who speaks eight languages?" is also natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Steven agreed to attend our year-end singing party. Steven [STRIKE]is capable of speaking[/STRIKE] speaks eight languages.

I also invited her (Who does this refer to? You haven't mentioned any women yet) to [STRIKE]come and join the year-end singing[/STRIKE] the party. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] She said she might come and I told her Steven [STRIKE]would also come[/STRIKE] was coming. Then she asked me:

Steven? Is it the one who speaks eight languages? (Lan met Steven the other day [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at our English club.)

Is my italic sentence natural? I think "Steven? Is he the one who speaks eight languages?" is also natural.

Don't use "it" to refer to people. Use "he".

Note my other corrections and comments above.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Don't use "it" to refer to people. Use "he".

Note my other corrections and comments above.

I used "her" to refer to "Lan". I thought I mentioned her already. I am so sorry for that. Lan met Steven once at our English club.

Do you mean "Steven? Is he the one who speaks eight languages?" is okay? If so, I'll write this one down in my notebook.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "Steven? Is he the one who speaks eight languages?" is okay? If so, I'll write this one down in my notebook.

Yes, that's what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.