Is it true that English learners cannot copy the RP accent?

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
My friend told me that in his experience, he had never seen any non-native English speakers speak English with the RP accent and he had seen lots of English learners easily copy the Standard American accent. he said if English learners want to speak English with the RP accent, All they can do is to speak with the modified RP accent. Is this true?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What's the 'modified RP accent'? Is your friend a teacher or a linguist?

I've known a few non-native speakers whose natural accent could fool you into thinking they were born and brought up in the UK. It's relatively rare but it is quite achievable, especially if the learner begins at a sufficiently young age.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No. It's not only untrue, it's implausible on the face of it. I can't imagine a single argument to support such a conjecture.

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
What's the 'modified RP accent'? Is your friend a teacher or a linguist?

I've known a few non-native speakers whose natural accent could fool you into thinking they were born and brought up in the UK. It's relatively rare but it is quite achievable, especially if the learner begins at a sufficiently young age.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
if English learners want to speak English with the RP accent, All they can do is to speak with the modified RP accent. Is this true?

I don't understand what your friend means. Do you?

Does he mean that it is impossible for learners to speak as if they're from 1930s upper middle class Britain? That's an odd thing to say!

Last edited:

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I don't understand what your friend means. Do you?

Does he mean that it is impossible for learners to speak as if they're from 1930s upper middle class Britain? That's an odd thing to say!
I'm lost. You asked me what the modified RP accent is and I gave you the article containing what the modified RP accent means.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm lost. You asked me what the modified RP accent is and I gave you the article containing what the modified RP accent means.
To save anyone else having to trawl through the webpage, it mentions "modified RP" as also being known as "General British". It's the first time I've come across either expression.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a little sidebar, I reiterate that the posh, very U accent that could be heard on the BBC and in the UK during the first half of the 20th century survives amongst the parsees of Mumbai. Their speech still sounds very plummy indeed.

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
The RP accent I was talking about is the modern RP accent.