Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
_____ any of them going to the UK next Monday?

A) Is B) Are

Which one is correct? Why?

Is "them" singular or plural?

Either one is possible. If you're asking about one person, use the singular "is"; otherwise, use "are".

I'm for Are.

To those who think that only "are" works, consider this:

A review of a film about a group of friends (a few males and one female) and their complex relationships.

The drama intensifies, and love is in the air. ______ any of them going to marry her? Watch and find out.

To me, "is" (not "are") is correct and natural in the above.

For me, regardless of how vague, context is important especially with "any".

The drama intensifies, and love is in the air. ______ any of them going to marry her? Watch and find out.

And in the OP's post?

Both are possible. I repeat: If the speaker has one person in mind, then obviously the singular "is" would be the right choice; otherwise, I'd use "are". Context is all important.

You can rephrase the sentence and say:

Is one of them going to marry her?

To those who think that only "are" works, consider this:

A review of a film about a group of friends (a few males and one female) and their complex relationships.

I'd rather see "Is one of them going to marry her?" or "Will one of them marry her?"

Maybe it's the "of them" that makes it seem plural to me.

I hear one, someone, somebody, and anybody as singular and some, and all as plural. Any is a gray area. Here, it sounds plural to me. But in "Is there any sentence where singular works?" singular works.

So I wouldn't fault anyone for going the other way. Anyhow, why sweat the small stuff?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back