Is your bath one that you get in(/on) the side and it fills up when you are in there?

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
From "8 Out of 10 Cats":

- ...and then I have a very deep tissue massage.
- Jesus! I think I prefer yours.
- Well, definitely you prefer mine.
- Who's the the masseuse?
- Well, I don't have to tell on TV but I have a few.
- Oh! THAT kind of massage! I see.
- No!
- What sort of tissues do you use?
- Deep tissues.
-
Is your bath one of the ones that you get in(/on?) the side and it fills up when you are in there?

Does he mean "a toilet bowl"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I very much doubt it, although I've never seen the show. What made you think he might mean a toilet bowl, given that it's far too small for people to get into?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What?! What makes you think of toilets? He's talking about baths. Some people have a bath that has a door in the side. You get in the empty bath, close the door and then run the taps. They're usually associated with very elderly or disabled people, because they might not be able to step over the side of a bath to get in normally.

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
What?! What makes you think of toilets? He's talking about baths. Some people have a bath that has a door in the side. You get in the empty bath, close the door and then run the taps. They're usually associated with very elderly or disabled people, because they might not be able to step over the side of a bath to get in normally.
Now I understand why they laugh. Jimmy was hinting at the lady's old age.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The whole thing strikes me as rather silly. What makes me say that? This line: "What sort of tissues do you use?"

Uncanny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
The whole thing strikes me as rather silly. What makes me say that? This line: "What sort of tissues do you use?"
It was just a play on words: "deep-tissue massage" followed by "what tissues..." (the respondent started answering without realizing that the meaning of "tissue" had changed). It is a comedy show.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was just a play on words: "deep-tissue massage" followed by "what tissues..." (the respondent started answering without realizing that the meaning of "tissue" had changed). It is a comedy show.
If you know that then you also know that the normal rules don't apply. They were -- for lack of a better word -- playing.