Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
For one, progress studies doesn't desire a world where humans live more harmoniously with nature. As Crawford writes: "Humanism says that when improving human life requires altering the environment, humanity takes moral precedence over nature." It doesn’t necessarily want a world with less inequality and prefers to focus more on growing the pie than on how it’s divided. It(1) also doesn't care much for societal norms that stand in the way of what it(2) conceives of as progress – even ones shared by all cultures.
(Do we need a better understanding of 'progress'? by Garrison Lovely)

I'd like to know what bolded "it" refers to.

(1) Progress studies
(2) Progress studies

Am I right?

For one, progress studies doesn't desire a world where humans live more harmoniously with nature. As Crawford writes: "Humanism says that when improving human life requires altering the environment, humanity takes moral precedence over nature." It doesn’t necessarily want a world with less inequality and prefers to focus more on growing the pie than on how it’s divided. It also doesn't care much for societal norms that stand in the way of what it conceives of as progress – even ones shared by all cultures.
I think it's 'humanity'.

Does “ones” refer to “societal norms”?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back