Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
What does the underlined "It-clause" represent? How should I understand this sentence?
Thanks!

Finally, all the foregoing backward-mapping steps implicitly involve leadership in strategising, organising, sustaining and scaling up. The key roles played by leaders centre on how they approach the transformation of their schools to create innovative learning environments, how they provide appropriate support and professional development, and use the available resources represented by society, the community and parents. It is the core technology of teaching and learning that is at the heart of the model and shapes new conceptions of leadership required to deliver it. This process of backward mapping – from learning outcomes through the key interconnected elements of learning, teaching, technology and organisational infrastructure, to leadership – is depicted in Figure 4.1.

(See Chapter 4 "Leadership for 21st century learning in Singapore's high-performing schools" of a report titled "Leadership for 21st century learning" published by OECD in 2013. )

(Last second paragraph of p.111. Here is the link: http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset...406-en#page113)

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What does the underlined "It-clause" represent? How should I understand this sentence?
Thanks!

Finally, all the foregoing backward-mapping steps implicitly involve leadership in strategising, organising, sustaining and scaling up. The key roles played by leaders centre on how they approach the transformation of their schools to create innovative learning environments, how they provide appropriate support and professional development, and use the available resources represented by society, the community and parents. It is the core technology of teaching and learning that is at the heart of the model and shapes new conceptions of leadership required to deliver it. This process of backward mapping – from learning outcomes through the key interconnected elements of learning, teaching, technology and organisational infrastructure, to leadership – is depicted in Figure 4.1.

(See Chapter 4 "Leadership for 21st century learning in Singapore's high-performing schools" of a report titled "Leadership for 21st century learning" published by OECD in 2013. )

(Last second paragraph of p.111. Here is the link: http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset...406-en#page113)

Another emphatic construction. Such sentences as this one are called cleft sentences. They serve the purposes of emphasising or focusing on some ideas (usually introducing those new ideas for the fist time) . In such a sentene, a single message is devided ("cleft" - pp. of the verb cleave ) into two clauses. In your senctence, the message being emphasised is "the core technology of teaching and learning is at the hart of the model, and shapes new conceptions of leadership required to deliver it".

Not a teacher.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another emphatic construction. Such sentences as this one are called cleft sentences. They serve the purposes of emphasising or focusing on some ideas (usually introducing those new ideas for the first time) . In such a sentence, a single message is divided ("cleft" - pp. of the verb cleave ) into two clauses. In your sentence, the message being emphasised is "the core technology of teaching and learning is at the heart of the model, and shapes new conceptions of leadership required to deliver it".

Not a teacher.

See corrections above. MNY

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is the core technology of teaching and learning that is at the heart of the model and [that] shapes new conceptions of leadership required to deliver it.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I found Weaver's answer to be very thoughtful.

His comments have made me think long and hard for the last 24 hours.

I have two respectful questions:

1. Is it possible that the OP's sentence is NOT a cleft sentence?

2. Is it possible that the pronoun "it" has an actual antecedent in that article?

Thank you

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
See corrections above. MNY

Thank you, Mike. It seems I made too many typos in that post of mine. Sorry for that. But...you know, I hadn't slept well for several nights, and that was for a very good reason.

Well...I can't help but cry so loudly that the whole word could hearme. I have become a father of identical tweens!!! :-D
We may live in different parts of the world, speak different languages, have different mentality and values; but there are things, I am sure, that we all share regardless of any differences. I hope you understand what I mean.

Sorry for being a bit off-topic.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Congratulations, Weaver!

I hope your children are twins — not tweens.:shock:

tween

a youngster between 10 and 12 years of age, considered too old to be a child and too young to be a teenager.
(Dictionary.com)

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you, Rover.

Yes, they are twins.
I feel I'd better go now before I've made even more spelling mistakes. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Considering your circumstances, allowances can be made. :up: