Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Fortunato points out that, if the gap continues to grow, prominent scientists could miss out on the award owing to the Nobel Committee’s rule banning posthumous prizes (with the exception of the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, a share of which was awarded to physician Ralph Steinman, who had passed away three days before the announcement, unbeknownst to the committee). “It has to stop at some point,” he says, adding that a rethink of the posthumous-awarding ban would allow more people’s work to get the recognition that it deserves.

Source: Nature Scientists are waiting longer than ever to receive a Nobel

Does "It has to stop at some point" refer to "the Nobel Committee’s rule banning posthumous prize has to stop at some point"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No.

He saying that's it's not fair becasue people are dying off before their work is recognised, and so there should be a limit to the length of the gap.

He also adds that overturning the posthumous ban would be another way to help solve the problem.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@jutfrank
I get that, but I'm not sure what "the gap" means.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I get that, but I'm not sure what "the gap" means.

The gap is the lag, i.e., the delay between doing the work and getting the award.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No.

He saying that's it's not fair becasue people are dying off before their work is recognised, and so there should be a limit to the length of the gap.

He also adds that overturning the posthumous ban would be another way to help solve the problem.

I think the single sentence "It has to stop at some point" has done the both: closing the gap and giving up the banning.
Simply put, it is a pun. :)