Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Our High Priest states:

"It is our mission to contribute to the achievement of propagation.
We must try our best to convert as many people as possible."

Are the inverted commas optional? Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you don't use inverted commas you need to use italics or indent the quotation.

A better title for this would have been 'Inverted Commas necessary?'

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, 5jj.

1. Moderator Rover always advises me to write the sentence I enquire about. Every time he sees me using, as in this question, the title "Are inverted commas optional?" he will tell me to do what I stated in the first sentence. I agree that your suggested title for this question is correct. Could the moderators discuss what is the appropriate way to write the title so that other posters as well as I are not confused. Thanks.

2. If you don't use inverted commas you need to use italics or indent the quotation. I'm sorry, but could you illustrate what indent the quotation mean? Could you show me by giving me an example from the contents I posted. Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks, 5jj.

1. Moderator Rover always advises me to write the sentence I enquire about.
But you are not enquiring about the sentence. You are enquiring about the use of inverted commas.
I'm sorry, but could you illustrate what indent the quotation mean? Could you show me by giving me an example from the contents I posted. Thanks.
Our High Priest states:

....................It is our mission to contribute to the achievement of propagation.
....................We must try our best to convert as many people as possible.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, 5jj. I completely agree with you regarding the wording of the title. I hope that moderator Rover also agrees with you.

Thanks also for your illustration below. Just to confirm: I think possible." should not be enclosed by closed inverted commas.

Our High Priest states:

....................It is our mission to contribute to the achievement of propagation.
....................We must try our best to convert as many people as possible."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks also for your illustration below. Just to confirm: I think possible." should not be enclosed by closed inverted commas.
No. That was a typo. I corrected it very quickly, but you managed to catch my uncorrected post.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, 5jj.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you found helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you found helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​
I thanked 5jj because he confirmed his reply contained a typo, otherwise I would be wondering why he replied thus. As I have already thanked him for that, I did not see any necessity to click on "Like" button. Also, I see no reason why thanking 5jj is tantamount to writing a new post.

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I didn't know double quotation marks could be called 'inverted commas,' as I thought only single ones applied to this term.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I didn't know double quotation marks could be called 'inverted commas,' as I thought only single ones applied to this term.
In BrE we can have single or double quotation marks/inverted commas.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Inverted commas are punctuation marks that are used in writing to show where speech or a quotation begins and ends. They are usually written or printed as ` ' or “ . Inverted commas are also sometimes used around the titles of books, plays, or songs, or around a word or phrase that is being discussed. (BRIT; in AM, use quotation marks.) [Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's Dictionary]

Status
Not open for further replies.