It occurs when a part of the population does not have any _____ place to call home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranlam1609

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Homelessness is a problem in many big cities in the world. It occurs when a part of the population does not have any _____ place to call home.
I am not sure which word is the most suitable among:common, regular, fixed.
Can you recommend me?
Thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Fixed" is the best choice in my opinion. We often hear the defendants in minor criminal cases described as being "of no fixed address".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd certainly use "fixed" in the set phrase "of no fixed address". However, in the original, I think it would sound odd. I'm not sure there's any need for anything in that space. You can just say "does not have any place to call home". For info, BrE speakers are unlikely to use "any place" there. I'd say either "doesn't have anywhere to call home" or, simply, "doesn't have anywhere to live".
I'm not sure about the logic in the original though. Homelessness doesn't "occur when a part of the population ...". If just one person has nowhere to live, that person is homeless.
Did you mean that homelessness being a big problem happens when an unspecified portion of the population in that city has nowhere to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.