Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is "it" correct to use to refer to a baby only when we don't know if it's a boy or a girl?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's OK but the parents won't take it well!! It's best to find out the sex of the baby first and then refer to it appropriately.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just as I'd ask 'Who is it?' if my wife said 'There's somebody at the door for you', I see nothing wrong with asking 'Is it a boy or a girl?' about a baby in a pram which wasn't helpfully dressed in blue or pink.

Not even a midwife can determine a tot's sex just by looking at its face.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should have said that "Is it a boy or a girl?" is a common question, but I'd say it's the only situation in which it works. I was thinking more in terms of someone looking into a pram and then saying to the parents "Ohhhh. It's really cute!" That's when I don't think it's appropriate. If the sex isn't known, I'd suggest "Ohhh. Your baby's really cute" in that situation.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Is "it" correct to use to refer to a baby only when we don't know if it's a boy or a girl?

Depends on context. For example you could ask if it's a boy or girl before continuing the conversation or using "the child".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Cultural note - bear in mind that some people are bringing their children up gender-neutral these days. It's not impossible for the answer to "Is it a boy or a girl?" to be "Neither". The parents choose to ignore/discount the biological sex of those children and bring them up purely as a child. Those children would go by the pronoun "They".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I should have said that "Is it a boy or a girl?" is a common question, but I'd say it's the only situation in which it works. I was thinking more in terms of someone looking into a pram and then saying to the parents "Ohhhh. It's really cute!" That's when I don't think it's appropriate. If the sex isn't known, I'd suggest "Ohhh. Your baby's really cute" in that situation.

Thus, it depends on context. "It" isn't wrong anyway when we are talking about children. But if I am talking about animals. Can I use "he" or "she"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thus, it depends on context. "It" isn't wrong anyway when we are talking about children. Many people will tell you it is wrong and will go to great lengths to avoid it; I gave you my own opinion.
:cool:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thus, it depends on context. "It" isn't wrong anyway when we are talking about children. But if I am talking about animals. Can I use "he" or "she"?

Only when asking the question "Is it a boy or a girl?" should you use that word. Otherwise " the baby" should do just fine.
(Especially if you don't know if it's a boy or a girl.)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Our local retired midwife, Ida Bertha Day, tells me that when delivering a baby, the midwife will announce 'You have a boy' (if the mother didn't already know)
9k=
, although balloons, banners, cakes and party gifts to welcome home the neonate all cheerfully proclaim IT'S A BOY/IT'S A GIRL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.