Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This comes from a YouTube video.

"After getting to know that tequila sunrise is the drink that Julianne had selected, Dom pours the tequila right out of his iPhone. Finally, it was confirmed to be the real tequila that came out of the phone."

I have no idea why the author used the. Can't it just be "...it was confirmed to be [no article] real tequila..."?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The article is wrong. That and the rather awkward wording suggest the text was not written by a native speaker.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The article is wrong. That and the rather awkward wording suggest the text was not written by a native speaker.
I figured, but didn't want to assume.

Thanks!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I disagree with post #2. The tequila had been referred to previously in the trick, so it's perfectly appropriate to use the definite article there. In other words, we know which particular tequila came out of the phone.

I'm extremely confident that the text was written by a native speaker.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The tequila had been referred to previously in the trick, so it's perfectly appropriate to use the definite article there. In other words, we know which particular tequila came out of the phone.

"After getting to know that tequila sunrise is the drink that Julianne had selected, Dom pours the tequila right out of his iPhone. Finally, it was confirmed to be the real tequila that came out of the phone."

Your explanation makes perfect sense for the blue the. The way you've explained it is how I understand it, and I feel the blue the is needed there because of the reason you mentioned.

But the
red the is different, I think. The tequila that came out of his iPhone matches the description of what tequila is. It was real tequila. I see this part as showing that what came out was an example of tequila. Why should it need a definite article?

I feel this sentence the same way I feel "My father was a real man," that it demonstrates that the object is an example of what that word, in this case man, means. An example of what fits the description of man, like many other items do. In other words, it's indefinite.

Also, the combination of the and real gives me the feeling that there are multiple tequilas present, all but one are fake, and the one that came out of the phone was the real one.

Are you sure the
red the is needed?

I know my understanding of articles isn't perfect; I'm trying to rectify how I feel about them.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you sure the red the is needed?
If it were omitted, the sentence would be answering the question "Is that genuine tequila?" With the article, it answers the question "Is that the specific genuine tequila that we've been talking about?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

But the
red the is different, I think. The tequila that came out of his iPhone matches the description of what tequila is. It was real tequila. I see this part as showing that what came out was an example of tequila. Why should it need a definite article?

Also, the combination of the and real gives me the feeling that there are multiple tequilas present, all but one are fake, and the one that came out of the phone was the real one.

Are you sure the
red the is needed?

I've just watched the whole trick and now I completely understand what you mean. By the real tequila, the speaker apparently means 'the drink that Julianne had selected'. But crucially, there was never any tequila previously there to refer to, whether real or fake. At the beginning of the trick, Julianne merely circles the option 'Tequila Sunrise' on a cocktail menu.

Is the red the needed? No, for the reasons you mention. It would make more sense that the sentence read It was confirmed to be real tequila ... However, the inclusion of the was not a language mistake. I think the writer has in his head the idea that after Julianne had selected 'Tequila Sunrise' at the beginning, the magician had conjured up a 'real tequila' into some digital dimension somewhere inside the phone, before pouring this real tequila out of the phone as the finale. The word choice real suggests that there's a distinction in the writer's mind between two tequilas—the digital one and the real one. He's therefore referring to the latter of these.

Either that or it's a simple mistake in understanding the procedure of the trick.

Be aware that this kind of YouTube channel invariably contains some very poor voiceover writing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.