Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
  • It will be developed forever.
Does it mean that 1) the amount of time spent on developing "it" will be a lot, or 2) that once "it" is (has been) developed, it will be(=stay) forever?
Or could it be either depending on a context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Give us the context in which you want to use the sentence and we'll be able to answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In terms of sentence meaning, it means both.

In the first interpretation, developed is a verb (action) whereas in the second it's an adjective (state).

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In other words, we can give you a better answer when we have received your reply to post #2.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
Give us the context in which you want to use the sentence and we'll be able to answer.
In other words, we can give you a better answer when we have received your reply to post #2.
There wasn't any context where I found this line.
(source - a YouTube video)

Does it mean that 1) the amount of time spent on developing "it" will be a lot, or 2) that once "it" is (has been) developed, it will be(=stay) forever?
Or could it be either depending on a context?
In terms of sentence meaning, it means both.

In the first interpretation, developed is a verb (action) whereas in the second it's an adjective (state).
Yes, of course, I understand it. I'm just wondering if I can say that sentence in either of those meanings in an appropriate situation. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There wasn't any context where I found this line.
(source - a YouTube video)
That doesn't make any sense! The YouTube video is the context. In post #1, you should have posted a link to the YouTube video and indicated at what time point the sentence appears.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
The YouTube video is the context. In post #1, you should have posted a link to the YouTube video and indicated at what time point the sentence appears.
It's the title of the video, the sentence itself doesn't appear in the video.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
The YouTube video is the context.
So, given the context, does "It will be developed forever" mean that 1) the amount of time spent on developing "it" will be a lot, or 2) that once "it" is (has been) developed, it will be(=stay) forever? To me (and hopefully to English speakers as well) these are two completely different meanings.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an odd sentence. "It will be developed" makes sense. That assumes, of course, that it hasn't been developed yet.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to figure it out.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, given the context, does "It will be developed forever" mean that 1) the amount of time spent on developing "it" will be a lot, or 2) that once "it" is (has been) developed, it will be(=stay) forever? To me (and hopefully to English speakers as well) these are two completely different meanings.

It means 1.

The idea is that there will be so much detail in the game that it will take the developers a very long time to produce, so we're going to have to wait several years yet for it to be released.

Last edited:

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
It means 1.

The idea is that there will be so much detail in the game that it will take the developers a very long time to produce, so we're going to have to wait several years yet for it to be released.
Thanks! If I wanted to convey 2, how should I put it?