It's very necessary for tourists to learn....(65 words)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to an English club yesterday and a group of people were talking about traveling abroad this summer. A friend of mine asked us a question. I vaguely remember his question "How necessary is it for tourists to learn the language of the country they're visiting?"

My answer was "It's very necessary for tourists to pick up a foreign language if they are going to visit that foreign country. Learning a local language can not only help one to better express themselves but better understand the country's culture and customs. It smoothes things like checking in a hotel, ordering food, shopping, etc., in a foreign country. It also promotes efficient communication with local people."

I think my answer isn't good at all. Could you please write me a natural version?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to an English club yesterday and a group of people were talking about traveling abroad this summer. A friend of mine asked us a question. I vaguely remember His question was something like "How necessary is it for tourists to learn the language of the country they're visiting?"

My answer was "It's very necessary for tourists to pick up learn a foreign at least some of the language if they are going to visit that foreign of a country they're going to visit. Learning a the local language can not only help one you/us to better express themselves yourself/ourselves but also to better understand the country's culture and customs. It smoothes makes things like checking into a hotel, ordering food, shopping, etc., in a foreign country. go much more smoothly. It also promotes efficient aids communication with local people."
Note the difference between "learn" and "pick up". In this context, "learn" is taken to mean doing some study before travelling, but "pick up" would suggest a few words or phrases working their way into your brain while you're already in that foreign country.

I learned some Spanish before I moved to Madrid but I picked up lots more once I was living there.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The average visitors would probably acquire a smattering of a foreign language, as in simple words and phrases, counting numbers, common greetings, etc., which I don't think is adequate to for them to express themselves and communicate effectively with the locals. Nowadays, there are electronic language translators, using both text and voice, for communication.

Last edited: