I've [always] thought I've already got/I got rid of the influence of my father ...

Faren

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A question about tense. Which one is better?

1: I've always thought I've already got rid of the influence of my father on me.
2: I've always thought I got rid of the influence of my father on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about tenses. Which one is better?

1: I've always thought I've already got rid of the influence of my father on me.
2: I've always thought I got rid of the influence of my father on me.
Welcome to the forum, @Faren

Unfortunately, neither of them makes sense. Starting with "I've always thought" doesn't make sense - you can't have thought that for your entire life, even before your father had any influence on you. Can you explain what you're trying to say a different way?

Note that I have improved your thread title. Titles must be unique, relevant only to the specific thread, and contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at.

Welcome to the forum, @Faren

Unfortunately, neither of them makes sense. Starting with "I've always thought" doesn't make sense - you can't have thought that for your entire life, even before your father had any influence on you. Can you explain what you're trying to say a different way?

Note that I have improved your thread title. Titles must be unique, relevant only to the specific thread, and contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you're asking us to look at.
thank you for your response!

I want to express a feeling that I think I'm not influenced by someone or something anymore, because it once had a impact on me and now I have overcome it. But that is not true and I'm still under its influence.

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back