English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi!
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why my text book says I've got many problems is incorrect. ;-)
Thanks !
B

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Which text book?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!
I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why my text book says "I've got many problems" is incorrect. ;-)
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my changes above. It's important to mark out the words or phrases you are querying in some way. As you can see, I have enclosed them in quotation marks. You could also put them in italics.
Don't put a space before an exclamation mark (or a question mark, comma or full stop).

Like bhaisahab, I would like to know which textbook you found that in and what reason is given for saying "many" is wrong.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi, Barbara!

Before anything else, I must say that I am not a teacher, but I have a textbook which claims that many and a lot of are interchangeable in this case.

"Countable nouns:

Many, in informal speech and affirmative sentences, can be substituted for a lot of, lots of, a great deal of and plenty of. Nothing prevents that manv be used in affirmative sentences, however it sounds more formal.
"

barbara.vagliani

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
The text book in question is Cambridge PET Direct Teacher's book. Common errors worksheet. Students need to choose the correct sentence between
A. He's got many problems.
B. He's got a lot of problems.
The answer is B in the answer key.
:roll:
So I was asking for some help from you as I am not sure why the answer is B as I have always taught my students that both "many" and "a lot of" are correct.

Thanks very much :lol:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Both A and B are correct.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ms. Vagliani:

I thought that you might like the opinion of Michael Swan, whose book Practical English Usage is respected by many teachers and students.

Mr. Swan tells us that in "an informal style, we use ... many mostly in questions and negative clauses."

"Many" is unusual in affirmative [positive] clauses except after [the words] so, as and too."

Here is one of Mr. Swan's examples:

1. "He's got lots of men friends, but he doesn't know many women." [My note: "lots of" / "a lot of " because the first part is affirmative/positive; "many" because the second part is negative.]

Perhaps that explains why your book prefers answer "b."

P.S. The fine print [the very small print] in post #4 also seems to agree with Mr. Swan's advice.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Canarinho_Verdi_Amarelo, please name the title and author of the textbook you have quoted from.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
The author's name is Anne Christina Martins.
Actually, there isn't any title, due to the fact that the textbook on the subject was made to all high schools students who studied at Bom Jesus Canarinhos in Brazil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Michael Swan- we tend not to use many/much in affirmative statements, but that doesn't make it wrong to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.