Not many people know ______ this snack got its name more than 250 years ago from John Montagu, who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sandwiches are such popular snacks that the English word “sandwich” is used all over the world. Not many people know ______ this snack got its name more than 250 years ago from John Montagu, who was the 4th Earl of Sandwich.

This is a test question in one of my exercise books. Students are required to fill in a word to complete the sentence. The answer key is “that”. I think “how” and “why” are also possible. What do you say?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I thought it was not important to tell the name because it doesn’t have an English name. I tried to translate its name and author as follows.

Book name: Analysis and Detection of Henan Junior Middle School Academic Level Examination for English, 2020

Author: Henan Basic Education Books and Periodicals Publishing Co., Ltd

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I thought it was not important to tell provide the name source because it doesn’t have an English name title. I have tried to translate its name title and author as follows.

Book name Title: Analysis and Detection of Henan Junior Middle School Academic Level Examination for English, 2020
Author: Henan Basic Education Books and Periodicals Publishing Co., Ltd
You must always cite your source regardless of the language of the title. Do your best to translate it, as you have above.

Use "title", not "name" for books.

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot, 5jj and emsr2d2.

Could you answer my question in #1 now?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The inclusion of "more than 250 years etc." makes "how" unnecessary because it explains exactly how. Without that explanation "how" would be needed. "Why" on the other hand doesn't work logically.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Both how and and why are wrong.

The part of the sentence this snack got its name more than 250 years ago from John Montagu is stated as a fact. There's an important difference in meaning between knowing how something, knowing why something happened, and knowing that something happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.