[Grammar] I've read the book, but I didn't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've read the book, but I didn't understand it. - Can this sentence be used to talk about a book you read, say, 20 years ago?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
No. Use the past simple for that.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
That's confusing for me. I thought when you talk about experience, it doesn't matter how long ago the action happened. For example, as far as I know, 'I've been to Paris' works even if you visited Paris 20 years ago. Or it doesn't?

And can we really use the past simple to talk about experience in the past? Can we say 'I was in Paris, but I didn't like it' with the meaning of experience, when the time is not mentioned or implied? I've always thought we can't...

So 'I've been to Paris, but I didn't like it' is also ungrammatical? :shock:

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You're right. In that case, you might say "Yes, I've read that book. I (first) read it 20 years ago, but I (still) don't understand it."
The part in blue is about the experience. The rest is details about that experience.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And what about that one: 'I've been to Paris (a few times), but I didn't like it (during all those visits).'?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'I've been to Paris, but I didn't like it.' is OK.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In my opinion, you can.;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that the present perfect is fine in your original example. It wouldn't be if you actually said "20 years ago".

I've read that book but I didn't understand it. (It doesn't matter when you read it.)
I read that book but I didn't understand it. (It doesn't matter when you read it.)
I read that book 20 years ago but I didn't understand it. (Specifying the time period means you need the past simple.)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've read that book but I didn't understand it. (It doesn't matter when you read it.)
I read that book but I didn't understand it. (It doesn't matter when you read it.)

If these two sentences mean the same ('I did it in the past"), does that mean that some day English will not need the present perfect tense at all (at least to talk about experience)? ;-) It means experience when used in the past simple just as well.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
They don't mean the same. They express different ways of seeing one situation.

When the time of the past action is mentioned, I understand the difference (that the speaker refers to that time in the past when using the past simple)., But in both of these examples there is no time reference. Don't they both mean experience without a time reference?

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The first places the reading of the book as part of the speaker's whole-life experience.
The second refers to the reading of the book as a past-time action.

So we can always add 'once' (read ... once) to the second sentence (in our thoughts), right? When we use the past simple, the time when the action was performed is always 'there' even if not mentioned. Is it possible to say so?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.