Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Given the context of each sentence, have I used 'tough nut to crack' correctly? Are these okay?

1. Jack is a tough nut to crack. He's humourless and a bit arrogant. Overall, I don't enjoy working with him.
2. Sara is bit of a tough nut to crack. She's not comfortable with expressing her emotions and it takes a long time for her to feel comfortable around someone and let her guard down.
3. Brooke is hard to work for. She's a tough nut to crack and can be exceedingly demanding.
4. My new girlfriend is a tough nut to crack. She's very introverted and always keeps her cards close to her chest. I wish I knew how she really feels about me.
5. To get admission, I need the approval of Dr Mason, but unfortunately she's a tough nut to crack. I would have to work really hard to convince her I deserve a chance.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And this:

6. Our teacher is a tough nut to crack. He's stingy in handing out marks and I have a feeling he'll fail me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not much used to that one. I think it means somebody is hard to figure out. I've been waiting for somebody else to respond, but so far nobody has. I guess we'll both have to be patient.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am more used to seeing the expression in terms of hostile questioning or interrogation.

"He confessed in the end but he was a tough nut to crack"

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am more used to seeing the expression in terms of hostile questioning or interrogation.

"He confessed in the end but he was a tough nut to crack"
This is the definition according to Merriam Webster:
: a person or thing that is difficult to deal with, understand, or influence