[Grammar] John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors have heard about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I can assure you that John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors have heard about what he did during the incident.

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/is-to-do-vs-is-to-be-done.3112514/post-15739089
--------------

I am wondering why the blue part is used in the present perfect.

--------------
a. I can assure you that John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors have heard about what he did during the incident.

b. I can assure you that John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors hear about what he did during the incident.
--------------

What different effects do (a) and (b) have?

(I created b. for comparison.)

The hearing is a one-off action after which John is blamed. The completion of the hearing to trigger the blaming calls for the present perfect tense. I think the simple present implies a repeated action of hearing.

a. I can assure you that John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors have heard about what he did during the incident.

b. I can assure you that John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors hear about what he did during the incident.

The red parts don't really go with the rest of the sentences.

The red parts don't really go with the rest of the sentences.
How about these two? :)

I can assure you, John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors hear/have heard about what he did during the incident.

I can assure you, once his supervisors hear/have heard about what he did during the incident,
John is to be blamed for the mistake.

I would say:

I can assure you that John will be blamed...

I think is to be blamed does not go with I assure you.

Last edited:
Please explain.

How about these two? :)

I can assure you, John is to be blamed for the mistake once his supervisors hear/have heard about what he did during the incident.

I can assure you, once his supervisors hear/have heard about what he did during the incident,
John is to be blamed for the mistake.

No, that's the same thing, with the clauses reversed.

Decide whether you're asking about the is to part or the once + present perfect part. Don't put both parts in the same sentence.

There is very little significant difference.

:)

Questions:

1. What is the very little significant difference?

2. Can we
roughly use both to mean the same thing?

Questions:

1. What is the very little significant difference?

2. Can we
roughly use both to mean the same thing?

Hi, friends. I am not sure about the two questions. Could you help me with them? :)

I am keen to know too as my explanation earlier was not accepted. Knowing that something is correct without knowing why is not good enough for learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back