Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This short dialogue is my attempt to implement a few words and phrases that I'm not sure about. Could you please check it?

Carl: "Karen, the judge granted me partial custody. I can see the kids at least twice a week. It's been three weeks, Karen... Karen?"
Karen: "Oh, I'm sorry, Carl. I couldn't hear you over my obliviousness of your pathetic existence."
Carl: "Wow... such condescending behavior used to be unbecoming of you when we were still together."
Karen: "That was before you started drinking every night."
Carl: "You don't need to bring that up!"
Karen: "I don't need to give you the kids, either!"
Carl: "We'll see about that."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This short dialogue is my attempt to practise using [STRIKE]implement[/STRIKE] a few words and phrases that I'm not sure about. Could you please check it?

Carl: "Karen, the judge granted me partial custody. I can see the kids at least twice a week. It's been three weeks, Karen... Karen?"
Karen: "Oh, I'm sorry, Carl. I couldn't hear you over my obliviousness of your pathetic existence." [I have no idea what that means]
Carl: "Wow... such condescending behavior used to be unbecoming of you when we were still together." [That's not natural]
Karen: "That was before you started drinking every night."
Carl: "You don't need to bring that up!"
Karen: "I don't need to give you access to the kids, either!"
Carl: "We'll see about that."
See my comments about the underlined parts.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Would "You didn't use to be so condescending towards me when we were still together." work?

"I couldn't hear you over my obliviousness of your pathetic existence." was my attempt to combine:
(1) "I can't hear you over x" → "x prevents me from hearing you",
(2) "oblivious of x" (used as a noun) → "unaware of x" → "ignoring x".
It was supposed to mean "I don't care what you're saying"/"I was ignoring you" in an over-the-top manner.

Any suggestion?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Would "You didn't use to be so condescending towards me when we were still together." work?
Yes.

"I couldn't hear you over my obliviousness of your pathetic existence." was my attempt to combine:
(1) "I can't hear you over x" → "x prevents me from hearing you",
(2) "oblivious of x" (used as a noun) → "unaware of x" → "ignoring x".
It was supposed to mean "I don't care what you're saying"/"I was ignoring you" in an over-the-top manner.

Any suggestion?
Yes. Instead of that whole line (including the unwarranted apology at the start), try: "Whatever".

Status
Not open for further replies.