[Grammar] Keep in mind that only if! I was home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi, Guys
Is this grammatically correct?

"Keep in mind that only if! I was home."

maoyueh

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, Guys
Is this grammatically correct?

"Keep in mind that only if! I was home."

Sounds awkward to me!
First, it seems that you have to put the exclamation point "!" at the end of the sentence; otherwise the meaning is unclear. Second, when we use the phrase "keep something in mind," we usually use a noun, a pronoun, or a noun phrase as the object of the verb "keep". We can't use a "that clause" as its object. For example, it is incorrect to say "Keep in mind that we are guests." However, it is perfect to say "Keep it in mind that we are guests." I hope this helps!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sounds awkward to me!
First, it seems that you have to put the exclamation point "!" at the end of the sentence; otherwise the meaning is unclear. Second, when we use the phrase "keep something in mind," we usually use a noun, a pronoun, or a noun phrase as the object of the verb "keep". We can't use a "that clause" as its object. For example, it is incorrect to say "Keep in mind that we are guests." However, it is perfect to say "Keep it in mind that we are guests." I hope this helps!

An exclamation mark does not go in the middle of a sentence, that's correct.

However, I wouldn't necessarily say that we don't ever say "Keep in mind that..." but it's not common. Personally, I would use "Bear in mind that..."

Bear in mind that we have to be back home by 3pm.
We have to be back home by 3pm. Keep that in mind.

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
@maoyueh
Appreciate the help very informative. Can I write it like this though:
"keep it in mind that if I was home."

@emsr2d2
So you are saying that I can use "keep in mind that" but "bear" is more preferable?

"bear in mind that if I was home."

How to say it if I want to give "if" a strong appearance then pauses then continue saying "I was home". Can you get the Idea? Sorry for that, I had hard times explaining what I meant in English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

'If' has no place in these sentences.

How to say it if I want to give "if" a strong appearance then pauses then continue saying "I was home". Can you get the Idea? Sorry for that, I had hard times explaining what I meant in English.
I am not sure what message you are trying to convey by 'if'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@maoyueh

@emsr2d2
So you are saying that I can use "keep in mind that" but "bear" is more preferable?

The sentence you have suggested doesn't make any sense. "Keep it in mind that if I was home." is not a full sentence.

Something like "Bear/keep in mind that if I were home, I would be watching TV" is a whole sentence.

What are you trying to say? What is the context? Can we have the sentence before and after it?

Thank you.

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
@fivejedjon
Sorry, I mean make an emphasis of "if" making it loud and pauses.

@emsr2d2
Here is the context:

"Same here, As I lived in the Philippines too, I always wear shorts only, because It's too hot I never really needed a shirt. Keep in mind that only if! I was home. Wouldn't be naked going to work. LOL."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Here is the context:

"Same here, As I lived in the Philippines too, I always wear shorts only, because It's too hot I never really needed a shirt. Keep in mind that only if! I was home. Wouldn't be naked going to work. LOL."
I wear only shorts, because it/s too hot. I never really needed a shirt.
or.
I wear only shorts. Because it's too hot, I never really needed a shirt.

[STRIKE]Keep in mind that[/STRIKE] Only if I was home, remember/I mean/please note.

The underlined verbs would probably be better in the past, if the wearing of the shorts and the high temperatures were a feature of your past life in the Phillipines. Alternatively, if you still live the, 'lived' should be 'live'.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@fivejedjon
Sorry, I mean make an emphasis of "if" making it loud and pauses.

@emsr2d2
Here is the context:

I think I've worked out that if you add an apostrophe and one letter to the word "that", it makes much more sense.

Same here. As I live in the Philippines too, I always just wear shorts because it's so hot I never really need a shirt. Keep in mind that's only if I'm at home! I wouldn't go to work in just my shorts! LOL!

As you can see, I've made some other changes to your sentence. I've put it all in one tense for a start. If you want to emphasise the word "if" in your sentence then simply put it in bold or italic. You still can't put an exclamation mark in the middle of a sentence.

Last edited:

mabzki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I think I've worked out that if you add an apostrophe and one letter to the word "that", it makes much more sense.

Same here. As I live in the Philippines too, I always just wear shorts because it's so hot I never really need a shirt. Keep in mind that's only if I'm at home! I wouldn't go to work in just my shorts! LOL!

As you can see, I've made some other changes to your sentence. I've put it all in one tense for a start. If you want to emphasise the word "if" in your sentence then simply put it in bold or italic. You still can't put an exclamation mark in the middle of a sentence.

Okay got it. but what about "I wouldn't be naked going to work! LOL!" can I still use that instead. I think it's just a figure of speech.

Last edited:

maoyueh

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
@maoyueh

@emsr2d2

It is grammatically incorrect to say "Keep in mind that if I was home," because you use two conjunctions before a clause.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is grammatically incorrect to say "Keep in mind that if I was home," because you use two conjunctions before a clause.
However, in the right context, one conjunction can follow another. Commas, in writing, and pauses, in speech, show that they go with different clauses:

Keep in mind that, if it's raining, I'm not going.

Indeed, we can manage without a comma separating the conjunctions:

I love it when you smile (,) and when you frown like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.