Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kelly, a teacher of the city high school, closed her laptop and tried to calm down. She decided to stand up of her chair and talk to her colleagues.

-"Dear colleagues, I want to take just a moment to clear doubts about an important issue" she said

After a few seconds the room was in complete silence.

-"I just wanted to say that this whole video thing was a joke between me and my friend Kevin at High School, twenty years ago.

The Students were walking in the hallway of the high school. Kelly walked down the hallway. Suddenly Tim, a colleague and friend, intercepted her.

-"Kelly, we’re friends for fifteen years. The whole school is talking about the video, and I was the last one to know about it."

-"Tim, the video was a small thing. Just an inside joke, long time ago."

-"You need to know, that your friends, will always be by your side. We care about you."

-"I know. Thanks Jonathan!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kelly, a teacher [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] at the city high school, closed her laptop and tried to calm down. She decided to stand up [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] from her chair and talk to her colleagues. (Note that you could just say "She decided to stand up and ...".)

"Dear colleagues, I want to take just a moment to clear up the/your/some doubts about an important issue" she said.

After a few seconds, the room was in complete silence.

"I just wanted to say that this whole video thing was a joke between me and my friend Kevin at high school, twenty years ago. The students, including Kelly, were walking in the school hallway. [STRIKE]of the high school.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Kelly walked down the hallway.[/STRIKE] Suddenly Tim, a colleague and friend, intercepted her.

"Kelly, [STRIKE]we’re[/STRIKE] we've been friends for fifteen years. The whole school is talking about the video, and I was the last one to know about it."

"Tim, the video was a small thing. Just an inside joke; it was a long time ago."

"You need to know (no comma here) that your friends (no comma here) will always be by your side. We care about you."

"I know. Thanks, Jonathan!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

See above. There is a problem though - I can't tell which parts of the dialogue are supposed to be what Kelly is saying to her colleagues, and which parts are a conversation that took place years ago at high school.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"I just wanted to say that this whole video thing was a joke between me and my friend Kevin at high school, twenty years ago. The students, including Kelly, were walking in the school hallway. of the high school. Kelly walked down the hallway. Suddenly Tim, a colleague and friend, intercepted her.
According to my understanding, it may go like this:

"I just want to say that this whole video thing was a joke between me and my friend Kevin at high school twenty years ago."

The students, including Kelly, were walking in the school hallway. of the high school. Kelly walked down the hallway. Suddenly Tim, a colleague and friend, intercepted her.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear emsr2d2 and rodgers white:

First of all, thanks for your help and time.

"Dear colleagues, I want to take just a moment to clear up the/your/some doubts about an important issue" she said at the teacher's room.

After a few seconds, the room was in complete silence.

"I just wanted to say that this whole video thing was a joke between me and my friend Kevin at high school, twenty years ago.
Kelly added.

The
students, including Kelly, were walking in the school hallway. of the high school. Kelly walked down the hallway. Suddenly Tim, a colleague and friend, intercepted her.
(this happened in the present time)

"Kelly, we’re we've been friends for fifteen years. The whole school is talking about the video, and I was the last one to know about it.,
Tim said"

"Tim, the video was a small thing. Just an inside joke; it was a long time ago.",
Kelly replied to her colleague (present time.)

"You need to know (no comma here) that your friends (no comma here) will always be by your side. We care about you,
Tim replied" (this conversation happened in the present time.)

"I know. Thanks,
Tim!" (this conversation happened in the present time.)

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, so she says the first two lines in the staff room and the rest in the hallway, but all the dialogue happens in the present time. In that case, I would add something "A little later" before "The students ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.