Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Would you please help me understand the usages of "govern" and "rule"? Let's look at the examples. If there are mistakes would you please correct them? Is the bold "the" redundant or even incorrect?

1. In the past kings used to rule the countries, but today most countries are not ruled rather they are governed by a government.

Would you please help me understand the usages of "govern" and "rule"? Let's look at the examples. If there are mistakes would you please correct them? Is the bold "the" redundant or even incorrect?

1. In the past kings used to rule the countries, but today most countries are not ruled rather they are but governed. by a government.

I don't see the distinction between "ruled" and "governed" in this context. Making the rules which regulate conduct is what governments are for and what they in fact do. In the past those same things were done by kings.

Monarchs (kings and queens) rule. Governments govern.

"to rule" doesn't mean the same as "make the rules".

"to rule" doesn't mean the same as "make the rules".

If "to govern" means "to make the rules", what does "to rule" mean? Would you please expand on the meaning and usage of "to rule" in this context?

Last edited:
Rule implies an autocracy. Govern implies that there is some level of public participation in the process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back