lacce

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodie

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
1) your shoe lacce are open (can this statement be better and is this one correct)
2 ) Please tie your shoe lacces...(can this statement be better and is this one correct)
3) please unless your shoe...(can this statement be better and is this one correct)

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1) your shoe lacce are open (can this statement be better and is this one correct)

Your shoe laces are untied or Your shoes are untied.

2 ) Please tie your shoe lacces...(can this statement be better and is this one correct)
Good, except for the misspelling. You can also say please tie your shoes.

3) please unless your shoe...(can this statement be better and is this one correct)
Do you mean please unlace your shoes? This is acceptable, also please untie your shoes.

Susan

Last edited:

foodie

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Don't ask if statements can be made better. Statments can be corrected. Better is too subjective - what you think is better is not always what I think is better. You should ask if the statements can be made clearer.
In the the 3rd sentence I mean I am asking the other person to open the shoe laces so should I say " Please untie your shoe lace" also if because of some accident shoe laces open so what should I say "My shoe laces have got untied"..can this statement be made clearer.Thanks

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:, but in Br English we don't say gotten undone' or even 'got undone'; we use 'come undone'.

Please note that all those "please"s (in earlier posts) would only be said by a parent or teacher (or a bossy elder sibling!). In Br English, unless you're in that sort of parental position, it's normal to warn a stranger 'Your laces are undone', and leave it to them to decide what to do about it. To a friend or acquaintance, something like 'Mind your laces'.

I think the problem with understanding foodie's 'unless' could be due to a simple transcription error - the word is 'unlace'. But note that unlacing is what you do before taking a shoe off, or before lacing it up more tightly.

b
PS - the last sentence was wrong. See the next note.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is interesting.

I would "untie" my shoe to take it off (though my kids just step on the heel and yank their foot out - sigh), but if I "unlaced" my shoe, it would be to completely remove the laces.

I lace my shoe when I first buy it because it doesn't come laces.

I tie it when I wear it.
I untie to take it off.

Your shoelace is untied.
Honey, tie your shoe before you go down those stairs.
If you don't tie your shoe, you're going to fall flat on your face! (To my kid, not a stranger.)

Please remember to untie your shoe before you take it off.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right. Unlacing their shoes is what one tries to persuade children to do before applying polish (to the shoes, that is, not to the children)! ;-)

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
/off topic

When I was in the Navy -- the only time I have ever polished my shoes -- I found it an oddly satisfying task. My shoes has no laces, of course. Just heels. But they went from mussy to gleaming. It was... fulfilling.

/end off topic

Status
Not open for further replies.