Lacking of a steady job and bank consumption record are fatal for getting the visa.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with Rosa and her friend Zhu about my plans going to the UK. They’re partners and running a travel agency.

Silver: So, roughly how much money do you think I’ll need for a month in Edinburgh?
Rosa: Well, you’d better sit for this news.
Silver: Okay.
Rosa: Have ever thought about traveling to some Asian countries before going to the UK?
Silver: How come?
Zhu: Because usually for those who want to travel to US or the UK, we suggest that they go to some Asian countries first to gain traveling experience. If the UK Embassy turned you down, it would be more difficult to apply for the second time.
Silver: Really, I didn’t know that.
Zhu: Yes. You work as a tutor, right?
Silver: Yes, does it have something to do with where I want to go?
Zhu: It surely does. Lacking of a steady job and bank consumption record are fatal for getting the visa.
Silver: What do you mean by that?
Rosa: She meant that if one doesn’t have a steady job, and can’t provide the list of their debit card or say, credit card consumption record, it’s almost unlikely for them to get a visa.
Silver: Uh, I see. Thanks a lot.

The conversation continued but had nothing to do with travelling.

Is the italic sentence okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The opening makes no sense. After Rosa says "You'd better sit down for this news", it would only make sense for her to answer your actual question (about money). I was expecting her to say something like "About £100 per day!" After that, it would make sense for her to suggest that you do some travelling in your own part of the world first, but the answer she gave you in that dialogue is nonsensical.
Also, she didn't give you any news at that point - she asked you a question!

If you really are planning to come to the UK, have a look here at the visa information.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The opening makes no sense. After Rosa says "You'd better sit down for this news", it would only make sense for her to answer your actual question (about money). I was expecting her to say something like "About £100 per day!" After that, it would make sense for her to suggest that you do some travelling in your own part of the world first, but the answer she gave you in that dialogue is nonsensical.
Also, she didn't give you any news at that point - she asked you a question!

If you really are planning to come to the UK, have a look here at the visa information.
Thanks a lot for the link, emsr2d2. I'll read it carefully later.

If I want to learn the correct and right way to express the italic sentence in English, how can I rephrase that? I actually translated all of them into English.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Last edited:

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
The opening makes no sense. After Rosa says "You'd better sit down for this news"
Remove "news" and what Rosa says makes sense to me. Rosa is basically saying "you're getting ahead of yourself," because Silver's question would be pointless if s/he can't get the visa / can't even make the trip.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You'd better sit down for this news" tells me she doesn't think Silver will like what she is going to tell him.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You'd better sit down for this news" tells me she doesn't think Silver will like what she is going to tell him.
I agree entirely but the rest of her words don't in any way answer the question about money! As dunchee said, she needed to make it clearer that she thought Silver needed to consider a lot of other things before worrying about their spending money during the trip.