Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I tell him to keep learning something new, especially scientific knowledge, to know the idea "Never too old to learn", lest ignorance become his trail of tears in life.

Source: English writing practice by me.

The question here is whether the phrase "trail of tears" is correctly used.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I tell him to keep learning new things and to remember the saying "You're never too old to learn", lest ignorance become his trail of tears in life.

Source: English writing practice by me.

The question here is whether the phrase "trail of tears" is correctly used.
It's not wrong.

However, it would remind lots of us Americans of our own Trail of Tears, a tragic event in our history. So we only use that phrase when we talk about that event.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do not use this expression for a trivial matter. It represents a shameful, murderous atrocity. Any other use is offensive to the memory of the thousands of innocents who perished while being driven from their homeland.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Right. It's sort of like a reference to the Rape of Nanking. The stories are very different, but both have ugly associations.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do not use this expression for a trivial matter. It represents a shameful, murderous atrocity. Any other use is offensive to the memory of the thousands of innocents who perished while being driven from their homeland.

That is exactly why this thread has come to exist. My intuition told me at the very beginning that this phrase could not be used lightely. It has particular historical implications and now it is clear that it should be reserved to honor the innocent people who had perished on the trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.